Ellis School Community Council Bylaws
- Elections of School Community Council (SCC) Representatives
- Notifications of election dates and procedures for declaring interest in serving on
the SCC will be given with the registration information from Ellis Elementary
- Interest sheets will be collected and parents contacted for verification during the
two weeks prior to beginning of the school year.
- If there are fewer than six candidates, all candidates (parents) who have shown
interest will be allowed to serve on the SCC.
- If there are more than six qualified candidates and the total pool of candidates
would exceed the maximum of 12, an election will be held.
- Elections will be held at the school after spring break.
- All positions are for two-year terms.
- The SCC will meet monthly October through April excluding December. The majority of
the council must approve cancelling and or calling additional meetings. Meeting
rescheduling will be done through email and then posted on the website when
- Council leadership will be elected at the last meeting of the school year prior.
Leadership positions include:
- Chair: Creates agendas, conduct meetings, and performs other duties as
outlined in state statute. The chair must be a parent.
- Vice-chair: Works with the chair and will conduct meetings at the request of the
chair. The vice-chair may be a parent or an employee of the school.
- Recorder: Takes notes at all meetings and submits minutes for approval by the
- Meeting norms:
- Meetings will begin on time, use time wisely, finish on time, and stay focused on
- Members and guests will come prepared to participate and avoid side
- Members will show respect for others in verbal and nonverbal communication at
- Members will avoid disruptions by silencing cell phones. If a member needs to
take a necessary call, they must do so out of room during meetings.
- If for some reason a member cannot attend the scheduled meeting, notification
should be given to the chair or co-chair prior to the meeting.
- Anyone may bring a topic to the SCC by contacting the chair at least one week prior to
the scheduled meeting and ask to be added to the agenda. The SCC man be asked by
any person or group to make a presentation on issues pertinent to the role of the SCC.
The items that are appropriate for discussion by SCC include, but are not limited to:
- School improvement plan
- School land trust plan
- Advise and make recommendations regarding school programs, professional
development, and issues relating to the community environment for students.
- Parent or school communication and involvement.
- Safe walking route
- Items not to be discussed by the SCC include:
- any personnel issues
- individual student information